Sunday, August 12, 2007

Silver Belle Progress Report

The peplum is done [do normal people even know what a "peplum" is? I had to look it up in the dictionary] and actually was done a couple weeks ago. I had to do a couple modifications, though: doing exactly what the pattern said left me with so many rows of regular 4x4 cabling for Panel B at the top (to get a length of 9.75") that the peplum flared out towards the bottom like a trumpet. Which I didn't like. I'm making the size s, which is apparently what the model is wearing, so how did they end up with only 2 rounds of the 4x4 at the top? I thought maybe my gauge was off (I must admit, I'm not too fastidious about swatching), because some other finished measurements didn't match the ones on the pattern, but I did the right yoke and checked the gauge off the seed stitch there, and it seems to be fine. Hmm. Anyways, here's the neck part of the right yoke:


The bottom part of the neckline also looks different from the sweater the model's wearing, but that might be because it's sort of stretched out on her or something.

And people have been asking about the yarn, so I thought I should say that I'm using really old Sympathie by Filatura di Crosa: 35% mohair, 45% wool, 20% acrylic in color #754.

And on an unrelated note: look, Charlene—your rose plant!

And my strawberry plant—my first strawberry. Or maybe second, but I forgot to take a picture of the real first one before it shriveled up and died, so. And now this strawberry is gone, too, because I ate it :] But it was so small it was hard to tell what it tasted like.

6 comments:

chookie said...

I love the yarn you're using - looks so fluffy and squishy. Silver Belle is looking good ;)

janice said...

yeah, it looks soft and actually feels soft...except up against my neck; it's kinda itchy there! anyways, i am still loving your patti cardi. i can't wait to finish this one and make that one. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm knitting Silver Belle and had the same issue with the Peplum. I was waffling between knitting the S or M. I am doing the M and after four cables at the top was still well short of the 11 inches I was supposed to have. I didn't want to do any more b/c of the flaring but also b/c of the proportions. So I stopped, and I might lengthen it a bit by adding a little more seed stitch in the yoke.

I also started the drunken cables on the sleeves on different rows so that they would mirror each other instead of traveling in the same direction.

Brahdelt said...

Your Belle's looking great, I'm knitting mine in purple. ^^

Virtuous said...

Wow great notations about SB.

And Yeah!! What is a peplum?? LOL

I am going to go look it up now too! :op

shopgirl said...

silver belle looks beautiful so far! I love this pattern and the yarn you are using looks perfect. Can't wait to see more!