Saturday, August 15, 2009

Debating Sweater Coats

Back from a very tropical summer in Taipei and now San Francisco weather is so cold in contrast! Granted, it's actually been pretty nice for this city the past couple days, but being back has me thinking about winter knits already, particularly about large slouchy sweaters over mini, silky dresses with riding boots. Or trouser socks and heels. So here are my inspirations and possibilities:

The Twinkle Diagonal Stitch Coat
What it looks like styled in an editorial:


And what it looks like in normal life, looking much less fluffy and cozy:

via NYmag

And in all the pictures on Ravelry, the sweater looks even less fluffy! Maybe because most people subbed for the Twinkle Soft Chunky, though. And I don't know how I feel about the shortened sleeves, but that's easy to fix anyway. And I really like the huge collar on this next one, but I wonder how that would look with the trellis coat..

Twinkle Mystery White Sweater Coat

via NYmag

Has the pattern for this sweater been published anywhere yet? In another picture I saw on flickr, the side view shows that the sleeves have braid cables on them, if that helps anyone help me any. :]

Twinkle Bulky Coat from Vogue Winter 2008

And on the runway:

via NYmag

Maybe I'll knit this one, since it's the most consistent-looking when you compare photos from different sources. (I just noticed that the two different models are wearing the exact same things for these two photos. Is that the only outfit that goes with the sweater?) Or the Siréne du lac cardigan from her Town & Country Knits. It's so hard to decide! I wish I could just try on samples of these and then decide based on fit and how they look on me. That would be taking away from the mystery and excitement, but it would also take away from the frustration when you're all done and you try it on only to realize that it is not flattering at all! Off to go think about this some more...

1 comment:

acommonthread said...

congrats on making the committment to do a full knit coat. the closest i came was knitting a bathrobe. i do love the twinkle one the best i think, but you're right, some of its appeal is lost when the fluffiness disappears.